CYPRESS, Calif. – June 12, 2013– Yamaha
Motor Corp., U.S.A., has announced the all-new Viking EPS Side-by-Side (SxS)
vehicle setting a new standard in the three-person multi-purpose SxS segment.
Every Yamaha Viking is being manufactured exclusively in the U.S.A. at Yamaha’s
factory in Newnan, Georgia, for worldwide distribution.
2014 Yamaha Viking - Red
The new Viking was designed and engineered as a robust and high-capacity utility
vehicle. It combines Yamaha’s most powerful four-wheel drive engine to date with
a comfortable and confidence-inspiring three-person cab, precision steering and
The vehicle’s distinctive features make it the most off-road capable vehicle in
its class and the only one with true three-person seating capacity, making it
not only hard working but fun to drive on the farm as well as the trail.
The Viking’s exclusive pass-through bucket seating features a unique off-set
center position (set 5 degrees back) that improves comfort with maximum shoulder
room for all three occupants. This is the only vehicle in its class with
three-point seat belts for everyone, plus headrests all around, adjustable
handhold for both passengers and a textured floorboard with dedicated foot wells.
Its seating position even provides for more head room than competitive models
without sacrificing critical ground clearance. All told, the Viking boasts the
most comfortable and secure seating in its class.
“With the introduction of the all-new Viking, Yamaha is once again taking a
leadership position in the growing multi-purpose SxS segment of the off-road
business,” said Mike Martinez, vice president of Yamaha’s ATV/SxS Group. “The
Viking tops its competition with precise steering and superior handling,
excelling in the areas of durability, reliability, ease of use, and cargo and
towing capacity. The Viking’s class-leading handling and off-road performance
make it the only SxS vehicle that can claim true utility-pointed design while
still providing a fun, confidence-inspiring experience in a recreational
Power comes from Yamaha’s strongest four-wheel drive engine to date – a 686cc
liquid-cooled 4-stroke, SOHC, single-cylinder, 4-valve fuel-injected engine that
provides peak performance at maximum capacity. This durable engine has been
optimized for working conditions with strong low-end torque while quick throttle
response and smooth power delivery are maintained throughout the rev range.
Yamaha Fuel Injection delivers consistent starts and power even at elevation and
in cold weather, and the 9.7 gallon fuel tank allows for long days in the field
or on the trail.A more powerful engine requires a more effective cooling system, and Yamaha has
developed a system that keeps the Viking cool even during tough chores and at
low speeds with optimum design, location and components that create the most
efficient airflow through the large radiator.
While the Viking’s 700cc-class engine makes more power than some larger
800cc-class machines, the vehicle’s handling and off-road capabilities truly set
Yamaha’s three-way On-Command® system, featuring 2WD, 4WD and 4WD with
differential lock, is a driver-controlled system with an automotive-type rotary
dial selector. This driver-controlled system gives the driver the control and
confidence to lock in all four wheels based on the terrain – a significant
benefit over other automated systems on competitive models.
Yamaha’s Ultramatic™ transmission with high, low and reverse has proven to be
the industry’s most durable CVT system with dual speed gearing and an automatic
centrifugal clutch that maintains constant belt tension for reduced wear and the
industry’s most natural feeling all-wheel engine braking. This reduced wear has
contributed to Yamaha’s proven durability, and the engine braking gives the
driver confidence especially on hills and in rough terrain.
The Viking’s optional Electric Power Steering (EPS) system provides the
industry’s best balance of light feeling with positive feedback from the
terrain. The system reads steering wheel torque, vehicle speed, On-Command
setting and negative feedback to determine the appropriate amount of assist in
any given situation.
The Viking’s utility functions combined with Yamaha’s proven durability were
designed for hard work, tough chores and long days in the field or on the trail.
The rear steel cargo bed was purpose-built for durability and convenience. Large
enough to carry a fully loaded pallet, the assisted dump bed can pack up to 600
pounds of equipment and supplies while the standard two inch receiver hitch is
rated to pull 1,500 pounds.
The Viking’s chassis also contributes to its off-road capability with nearly
12-inches of ground clearance at the lowest point, a full steel/composite smooth
skid plate front to back and side to side, and an optimized frame with up-turned
side rails allowing for smoother transitions over obstacles. The Viking features
light and natural-feeling handling in both the EPS and non-EPS configurations.
The front and rear suspension outperform the competition even with heavy loads.
There simply is no more secure feeling vehicle when tackling rugged terrain –
especially at full capacity.
The Viking’s long-travel four-wheel independent suspension is perfectly balanced
to provide a plush and comfortable ride with a quality damping feel in rough
terrain all while carrying either a light or full load. The gas charged shocks
help reach the delicate balance of damping and resistance with one or three
people, fully loaded or empty.
The all-new Maxxis Big Horn 2.0 tires were designed specifically and exclusively
for the Viking with maximum performance and durability. The new Big Horns
provide an optimized balance of sidewall and tread center stiffness in a tire
that delivers an excellent combination of traction, precise steering and
comfort. The Viking’s large diameter front and rear brake discs with dual piston
calipers on all four wheels ensure good balance and power during braking –with
or without cargo. The Viking also comes equipped with a mechanical parking disc
Little extras are a big deal when they help increase productivity and fun.
Things like marine-grade electrical connections and wiring, a sealed
maintenance-free battery, digital meter and easily accessible and serviceable
foam air filter and engine are built into the Viking to help owners stay on task
or trail – and out of the shop.
The all-new Viking EPS and non-EPS models will be available starting this
August. Standard models come in Steel Blue, Hunter Green (with sun top), Red
(with sun top) and Realtree AP HD camo (with sun top). The non-EPS models start
at $11,499 MSRP while the EPS models start at $12,499 MSRP. A Special Edition
Tactical Black model will be available in spring 2014.
Steel Blue Yamaha Viking
Viking - Seating for Three Adults
All new for 2014:
- The Viking is equipped with Yamaha’s most powerful 686cc engine with a
broad, usable powerband. Four-valve head with 10.0:1 compression delivers
optimum torque for virtually any workload, and up to a 30% gain in fuel
- Electronic fuel injection ensures peak performance in nearly all
conditions and elevations, along with instantaneous cold starts.
- Engine braking performance is provided across the entire speed range.
- Large-capacity air intake system contributes to the engine’s overall
- New air injection system burns the un-combusted elements in the exhaust,
resulting in even further reduced emissions.
- Specially designed drive system air intake helps prevent overheating and
assists in keeping water and debris from entering the drive case.
- Convenient dash-mounted gated shift lever (L/H/N/R) provides simple
Ultramatic transmission operation.
- Yamaha’s proven electric power steering system is available on the
Viking for excellent handling over all kinds of terrain.
- 11.8-inch ground clearance delivers maximum underbelly protection while
- Large diameter front and rear wheel disc brakes provide unsurpassed
stopping power, and the dash-mounted parking brake is simple and convenient
- Standard center-mounted, heavy-duty 2-inch receiver-style hitch can tow
up to 1500 pounds.
- Tough, rotomolded doors help keep mud, water and dirt on the trail where
- Stamped steel dump bed is rated to haul 600 pounds of gear, with two
simple, yet proven latching levers on the left and right for maximum
durability. In the bed are four standard tie-down hooks to help make sure
cargo is strapped down securely.
Yamaha Viking Specifications:
- The engine is located under the cargo bed and can be easily accessed
when the bed is lifted.
- The seat layout is comfortable and versatile for three people. Padded
head rests are included and the middle seat is set back for both driver and
passenger comfort. The pass-through floor provides on-board ease of movement
for getting in and out of the vehicle from either side.
- Digital instrument panel boasts multifunction LCD display with
speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeter, hour meter, 4WD status, transmission
position, clock and fuel gauge.
- Steel skid plate under the frame provides protection from rocks and ruts
and helps prevent the Viking from getting stuck.
- Center hood access for battery and other electrical components ease
- Latching glove box is included to store smaller items such as cell
phones, wallets, etc.
- Dash-mounted parking brake for driver convenience.
- The Viking width is sized to help minimize row crop damage.
- The driver’s seat and passenger handhold are adjustable to maximize
comfort and to accommodate the widest range of appropriately sized operators
- Equipped with four in-dash cup holders for passenger comfort.
- Large, 9.7-gallon fuel tank allows for long rides.
- Under-seat, tool-free air filter is a snap to service.
- Model - YXM700PEG; YXM700PER; YXM700PEL; YXM700PHEH
- Engine - 686cc liquid-cooled w/fan, 4-stroke; SOHC, 4 valves
- Bore & Stroke - 102.0 x 84.0mm
- Compression Ratio - 10.0:1
- Fuel Delivery - Yamaha Fuel Injection (YFI)
- Ignition - TCI: Transistor Controlled Ignition
- Transmission - Yamaha Ultramatic V-belt with all-wheel engine braking;
L, H, N, R
- Drive Train - Yamaha On-Command pushbutton; 3-way locking differential;
2WD, 4WD, locked 4WD; shaft drive
- Suspension/Front - Independent double wishbone; 8.1-in travel
- Suspension/Rear - Independent double wishbone; 8.1-in travel
- Brakes/Front - Dual hydraulic disc
- Brake/Rear - Dual hydraulic disc
- Tire/Front - AT25 x 8-12
- Tire/Rear - AT25 x 10-12
- L x W x H - 122.0 x 61.8 x 74.1 in
- Wheelbase - 84.1 in
- Turning Radius - 177.56 in
- Ground Clearance - 11.8 in
- Fuel Capacity - 9.7 gal
- *Wet Weight - 1342 lb
- Bed Capacity - 600 lb
- Towing Capacity - 1500 lb
- Instrumentation - Digital instrument panel boasts multifunction LCD
display with speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeter, hour meter, 4WD status,
transmission position, clock and fuel gauge
- Lighting - N/A
- Color - Hunter Green; Red; Steel
Yamaha Viking MSRP:
- Viking EPS Camo (with suntop) - $13,249
- Viking EPS Red and Hunter Green (with suntop) - $12,699
- Viking EPS Steel Blue - $12,499
- Viking Camo (with suntop) - $12,249
- Viking Red and Hunter Green (with suntop) - $11,699
- Viking Steel Blue - $11,499
About Yamaha Motor Corp., U.S.A.
Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A., (YMUS), a leader in the motorsports market,
makes the toughest, most capable and versatile ATV and Side-by-Side vehicles.
The company’s ever expanding product offerings also include motorcycles,
outboard motors, personal watercraft, snowmobiles, boats, outdoor power
equipment, accessories, apparel and much more. YMUS products are sold through a
nationwide network of dealers in the United States.
Headquartered in Cypress, Calif., since its incorporation in 1976, Yamaha also
has facilities in Wisconsin and Georgia, as well as factory operations in
Tennessee and Georgia. For more information on Yamaha, visit www.yamaha-motor.com.